Wednesday, April 29, 2009

You're gonna do what?

In 1972 my parents bought their first house. After 20 some years my dad retired from the Navy, and we left the balmy shores of Oahu for the town of Puyallup. One of the first things my mom did was plant a vegetable garden, and while she did the lion's share of work, we helped where and when we could. We would also travel to the Puyallup River and pick apples from a tree that grew wild on the riverbank, my brothers climbed a neighbor's tree for cherries, and we'd visit the local farms to pick berries. Then I'd help my mother while she canned fruits and vegetables, made pickles, zucchini bread, pies, applesauce, jams and jellies, and delivered surplus goods to our neighbors. It was hell. The ground was so dirty, and there were bugs, and slugs, and spiders (oh, my), my hands would be stained red from berry juice, I still to this day cannot stand applesauce, and by summer's end our neighbors stopped answering the door when I would come to call. I mean wasn't that what grocery stores were for? A nice clean place where we could buy all the produce we wanted with nary a bug in sight?

It's only been in the last few years that I started paying attention to what I was putting in my body. Organic farming, free range chickens, humane treatment of animals, carbon footprints became important considerations in my life. I want to have a hand in what I eat. I want to raise some of my own food, and support local farms. I want to eat seasonally, and I long for the fresh and delicious produce my mother grew that I took for granted. And I want to raise chickens for their eggs.

You're gonna do what? I'm pretty sure my family thinks I'm crazy. I'm absolutely sure my husband was hoping this was a passing fancy, and it might very well have been except as fate would have it Heather and I were talking, and I'm not sure who brought up chickens first but I know we both jumped at the idea of raising the chickens together.

So here we go. We're gonna raise chickens. I'm not really sure how, but we'll keep you posted as the project progresses.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooohh, I am excited! We just met with a garden designer last night and I am trying to convince Trevor to get chickens. Travis from Gardensphere-they are having a class tonight on raising chickens! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man I wish I could make that one. We're signed up for the class at WSU Puyallup on the 16th. We'll have to exchange notes!

    ReplyDelete